Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors
RDA Great Southern is committed to contributing to leadership development opportunities and improving the skills and capacity of Not-for-Profit committee members in the regional areas of the Great Southern. RDA Great Southern, supported by Lotterywest, is providing the opportunity for regional Great Southern committee members and those aspiring to become committee members on not-for-profit boards to submit an Expression of Interest to participate in a Governance Foundation for Not-for-Profit Directors Course. The course will be delivered by the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
The successful candidates will be selected through a selection committee process and the selection criteria will ensure that a diverse range of Great Southern regional community members are chosen. The number of course participants will not exceed 25.
What will you learn?
Participants will gain an understanding of fundamental compliance and performance related roles and responsibilities of not-for-profit board and committee members, specifically in the areas of governance, risk, financial performance and strategy.
Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Identify the duties and responsibilities of committee members in the not-for-profit environment
- Appreciate the potential personal liability of board and committee members
- Understand governance structures as they apply in the not-for-profit context
- Consider the differences / similarities and nuances of the committee member's role in the not-for-profit / for profit sectors
- Understand the role of committee members in overseeing the strategy formulation and risk management approach of the organisation
- Review the financial statements and the linkages between them
- Discuss how committee members in the not-for-profit sector can link the financial statements to understand the 'financial story' and health of the organisation.
What can you expect?
The course is taught in an interactive manner by a facilitator with extensive real world experience in the not-for-profit sector.
The one and a half day course includes the following three modules:
Duties and Responsibilities of the Not-for-Profit Director
- Gain an understanding of the role of the not-for-profit committee member in governing the organisation and how this differs to the for-profit sector.
- Understand the potential liability of directors and committee members.
- Appreciate the balance between the compliance and performance roles of the board.
Strategy and Risk for the Not-for-Profit Director
- Identify the link between strategy and risk management risk culture and effective leadership.
- Enhance organisational performance through effective contribution to strategy formulation.
- Understand personal risk appetite and how this affects board decisions.
Finance for the Not-for-Profit Director
- Learn to interpret the major elements of financial statements and the linkages between them to evaluate the financial performance of the organisation.
- Explore how to apply and interpret financial ratios applicable to not-for-profit organisations.
Participants who enrol in the program will also receive complimentary access to Interpreting Financial Statement (eLearning course) and a recording of The Role of the Not-for-Profit Director webinar.
Expressions of Interest for the Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors Course
Expressions of Interest can now be submitted until midnight Monday 15 January 2018. The Course will be held in Katanning from 25-26 February 2018. Class size is strictly limited.
Stage 1 How to apply: Applications for the Course are now open. Applicants will need to submit a completed EOI form, which includes answering the questions provided. The Information Flyer and EOI form is available HERE.
Stage 2 Selection: The selection committee will assess the EOI's and contact the successful participants. Applicants will need to be available via telephone in the last two weeks of January 2018.
Stage 3 Course: The Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors Course will be conducted in Katanning from 25-26 February 2018. Course reading materials, including case studies, will be sent to participants 3-4 weeks prior to the course.
By applying for the Governance Foundations for Not-for-Profit Directors Course you are agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.